Monday, September 1, 2008

Home improved

Recently I posted that Scott, Mo and I were busy with home improvement projects. At that time, we were painting our guest bedroom. This bedroom was the "step-child" of our home--the room that we had great intentions to get around to earlier, but seemed content with simply shutting the door and ignoring the plain walls and post-college/first apartment furnishings.

Our major motivator to complete this bedroom was football season. I know, it sounds crazy, but football season is not only a motivator for us but it has also become a nice little money maker to finance our home improvement projects.

This is our third football season to rent out our condo for home football games. The season that Scott and I got married (yes, we married during football season!) we took a leap of faith and posted our condo on a fan blog. That season was a trial-and-error, and we rented to several different groups. I won't elaborate on the errors, but the blessing was a wonderful weekend tenant--a precious family from Jackson. The next year our tenant, who we now consider our football family, rented for most of the home games so we didn't worry with multiple renters. Thank goodness for Coach Nutt, because I was seriously wondering if our football family would commit to this season! Now that Scott and I are both employed, our football funds can now go to finishing our last little projects on our home improvement list (and savings, of course!). First on our list was finishing our guest bedroom.

After completing our projects, I thought I would post pictures. I also came across some of the pictures we emailed to our football family three seasons ago. Prepare to ohhhh and ahhh.

The Living Room 2 years ago:

(When our football family came the first season we had a warped TV Stand!!)













The Living Room NOW:





The "master" bedroom 3 years ago:



The "master bedroom" NOW:





And now...for the guest bedroom (which we didn't photograph before):






And today, after our annual Labor Day road trip, we added this beautiful piece to our living room: (It has a great hutch that sits on top, but we don't have room/need for it now.)



Many thanks to our football family for contributing to our house! We will forever be grateful for the Ray family :) And I must also thank both my parents and Scott's parents. Scott's parents helped us attempt to landscape our backyard. Unfortunately the seed we spread did not agree with the pine trees. My parents have helped with numerous projects around the house. The most recent is making the cornice box and headboard for our guest room. I think they turned out looking great :) They have also played a big role in our football weekend deal, as they allow us to crash at their home! Now that our guestroom is done, we need to have both parents and friends and family come stay with us. I promise you'll be much more comfortable!!!

3 comments:

Dana and Chris Sheheane said...

love it mary!!! so cute!!! i just love your house! love you and roll tide!!!!!!!!! dana

Barnes Family said...

Where did you find all of your furniture? I really like it.

Mary Beth

Amber said...

It all looks great, and I am LOVING the color of the guest room!